Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

How to NOT get a job

This past week has been the most entertaining so far.... I REALLY wish i had pictures to post with this, but I have no phone and therefore no camera (I keep forgetting to carry the real one)..
ps. this post might be long, i need to blog more regularly to avoid this. lesson learnt.

It all began with my brother telling me about this career fair for the Dubai International Film Festival or DIFF (biters, i know). So I googled away and it looks pretty legit and worth my time. I made note of the time and place (in my mind, because i have no phone) and then told my parents about my newly made plans and also asked for money to take a cab - they were less than impressed. My Dad however was supposed to be off from work that day and offered to drive me.

Day 1: it's 11.30am and I'm ready to roll and the pops is driving yay!!
- i got the location wrong
-we drove about 25km the wrong way
-we had to drive back 30km to get to the right place
-"knowledge village" is impossible to find
- we had to leave cause my dad had a meeting soon
- My Dad must have told me to "forget about this Chinky, get a real job" atleast 20 times over those 3 hours.
- I got dropped off back home and my mom drove me later that day
- I dropped off my resume and spoke with 2 people and left pretty assured that i aint gettin NO calls
-Thanks for the rides family :)

Day 2- I got a call back!.. temp job, but still yay!
- I try to google "Dubai Media City" its about 10 minutes away

Day 3- Cab ride there (1): "Hi maam, where u go?" .. "umm, Dubai Media City".. "ok ma'am"
20 minutes later, he didn't know where he was going .."Just drop me off here, I'll figure it out".. I thought I was close by anyways. I asked another cabbie nearby "where's building 4?" .. "ma'am, that's quite a walk away, want a ride?". I'm already sweating... "yes!"
-Cab ride there (2): "Hi maam, which building?" .. "i thought YOU KNEW mutherfucker"  10 dirhams later he drops me off where he picked me up.. I was at the right building.
- Asshole cabs.
- I got a call back

Day 4- Cab ride there (1): "Hi maam, where?" .. "Dubai Media City".. "ok ma'am, is it ok if i take a left at blahblahblah?" .. "umm sure". This time I knew where I was going. Dude proceeded to ask me my life story and told me i was pretty..how nice, now drive me please.

- Supervisor woman spent 45 minutes with me at her desk explaining what i'll be doing and where she keeps her files, etc, etc. Does this mean I got the job? I thought this was an interview? Later I got led into a room with a UAE national (aka full arab get up) for my FINAL interview. alright i'm ready for this...

- "Tell me about yourself" .. "Well, I just graduated .. "
"NO NO, tell me where you were born, about ur family"
- wtf. "ok, umm i was born in India, lived here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi for a while then Canada for the most part... etc etc" LIFE STORY
- "What does ur dad do, where does he work?"
- "are u the effing CIA?"  "he's an accountant by profession but he's works in investment operations.. " and your mom? "she's a teacher"
- "Great, what do you do for fun?" .. "um, I play the piano and I paint, I love art" "what kind of music?" .. "classical to play, but r&b and everything else to listen to"
- He continued to ask..."who's ur all time favourite" "Who's ur favourite band?" "What's ur favourite song from THIS YEAR??"
- OMG. "destiny's child, beatles, wakka wakka/fifa songs."
- "OK THANK YOUUU"
- fuck you
- "yea thanks", I smile and walk out.
- double you tee effffffff

I think it's safe to say that I'm not getting a call back. He clearly did not like my playlist OR my life story. Dude, if you wanted to update your ipod just ask..

-Cab ride back: "Hello maam.. where you go?" .. um "Al Barsha, by mall of the emirates" (Home) .. "Maam, I am new here" Great.. ofcourse u are..

END SCENE


Credit goes to my entire family for this great week and shout out to all the amazing cabbies. You guys were the best sources of entertainment possible. That being said,  I should have listened to my Dad. Time to find a real job...and study :(

  

3 comments:

  1. Haha lol nice post sharon... I didn't know ppl spoke English there... How do u get by without knowing Arabic in a Arabic country...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people speak english quite well. Arabic and Urdu are great assets as well as many people speak them more fluently than english.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lol...well i speak urdu and english...and my arabic is also really good...so i cud get along in any language there lol...

    ReplyDelete