Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

how to OMMMMM

I bought a Groupon deal for 20 hot yoga sessions with a friend of mine. She has been on a quest to lose weight / get fit even though she is probably less than 90pounds (40kgs). Though I've dabbled in hot yoga before and not really loved it, I took this as a challenge to add to my Ashtanga practice and support a friend.

Yesterday was our first session at Fitness 4 Life in Dubai Silicon Oasis. I got through the 90 minutes session in a 40 degree room with ease. I even surprised myself when I wished it was a little more challenging.

This, my friends, is what Ashtanga does to you. This was my defining moment realizing that the Ashtanga practice is one of the most challenging and energized of them all. Hot yoga, Power yoga, Vinyasa flow, 90 minutes, nothing can wear me out like the primary series with all those vinyasas.

This past weekend, I was surrounded by fellow fit Ashtangis at a workshop at Yoga Room Dubai. The bodies that have been trained by this practice are truly refined and I can't wait to get older for this one reason. You see Mark Darby (probably in his early 70s) bringing his elbows to the floor in Uttanasana and it's so exciting!

When Darby lets out his "ommmm" at the beginning and end of a led class, the deepness of the sound resonates through your entire body and mind. I challenge you not to love Ashtanga.

Darby and his wife Joanne examine our Urdhva Dhanurasanas after giving us some helpful adjustments/ tips.
Like, Really. "How to hinge at your hips"
All of us AFTER the last day of back-bending. Spot me :)
 You can find more photos here.

A HUGE thank you to Joumana. She flew in the Darbys from Montreal for us!! Founder of Yoga Room, my light into Ashtanga and a good friend. Love you! 

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment