It's Christmas time! And do you know what that means in the UAE? .. nothing really.
Well, my family likes to keep traditions strong. Considering the fact that we are hungover, tripping on decorations and sick of christmas songs within the first week of December- I think we are doing an exceptional job this year.
This weekend began with UAE flags and extremely tacky decoration plastered around Dubai for "National Day" (December 2nd) and ended with my hair smelling like a chain smoker's. That being said, if anyone's thinking of visiting Dubai, you have to do it at this time of the year! The weekend was unreal and brought out all sorts of uniqueness in the city. Here's a little overview from National Day, the Akon concert and Rugby Sevens in Dubai:
Only in Dubai:
Only in Dubai:
- Can you see a Lamborghini with its wheels spray painted red black white and green. Not even Americans are this patriotic...
- Your windshield could be hit with glitter and silly string coming from a Range Rover with a flag stapled to it... driving at a chill 140km/h
- If your concert ticket says "doors open at 7pm" they really mean 9pm and the show doesn't start until midnight.
- Akon actually has fans?
- And they are willing to pay 350 dhs ($96) to enter and 60dhs ($17) for a can of guiness?
- The venue is a hall .. beside an Arab wedding!?
- I am the tallest girl at the concert at 5'6" (with heels, but its still sad)
- A girl I had just met said to me "No offence, but I think it's because of your darker skin complexion that these black guys keep hitting on you"
- Who are you?
- What's wrong with black guys?...No, What's wrong with my skin colour?
- Don't be jealous.
- I wish I schooled her right then.. I hope she reads this.
- Smoking cigarettes is allowed indoors, in stadiums, in washrooms, at children, with children, and at my face apparently
- Rugby is just an alibi for "Beerfest"
- The Sevens stadium was SO much fun. Definitely the highlight of Dubai so far.
- Rugby also means "every white person in and around the UAE must attend"
- It strangely felt like home
- Scottish man backhanded his kid - in public and then continued to drink his beer and smoke his cigarettes. He was wearing a kilt.
- Did that really just happen!?
- How many Canadian laws did this dude just break?
- 50 metres away from the rugby venue is a camel race track and a camel market.
- Ps. I am gonna try camel burger tomorrow. Can't wait!
Here are some pics and videos! Enjoy ~
|Gearing up for UAE National Day - the hat was the winner this year|
|Ofcourse, Annual Xmas hoopla- this is all I remember|
|This came with my McDonald's Happy Meal. I was not entirely comfortable drinking it...|
|OUTSIDE AKON's "CONCERT". The band for an Arabic wedding I suppose. Look out for the video below..|
|Best picture I have. Sorry!|
|Ladies Taxi with a female cabbie. I just like that it's pink!|
|Crazy Kiwi!!! and us hiding from the sun at the Sevens.|
|This guy was awesome!|
|Burnt but happy.|
|Honestly, no camera can capture how pretty this sunset was! This was our view driving home from the Sevens|